A volunteer abroad program is a great way to give back, discover the world and gain access to opportunities that just wouldn’t be possible at home.
There are many different types of volunteering programs available – from teaching English or working with children in orphanages, to building infrastructure in developing countries. When planning for your next holiday why not consider an international volunteering vacation?
Many people dream of living in a different country, exploring new cultures, and making lifelong friends. But before you pack your bags for an adventure to the other side of the world, there are some important things to consider when planning your volunteer abroad program.
Here are few tips on how to get your program off to a great start:
– Do it! Don’t wait for the perfect moment, and you will never be 100% ready. It’s better to go with what you have than not at all!
– Do your research before volunteering abroad. Many programs can help you find an opportunity in a location of interest; pick one and get started immediately!
– Have an open mind about where you’re going, language barriers may exist, but they don’t stop people from communicating. If you approach new experiences with curiosity rather than fear, this too shall pass quickly 🙂
– Find the balance between being independent while having structure during your time abroad. You’ll want some free time to explore on your own, but appreciate the support and guidance offered by your in-country team.
– Get in touch with the local community. Volunteering abroad is a fantastic way to immerse yourself in a new culture, but learning about your host country goes beyond language barriers. Make an effort to get out there!
– Respect the customs of your host community, even if you don’t understand them. It’s a great way to learn and gain respect from the people around you!
– Be open about what you want out of this experience. Your in-country team is there for support, but it’s better to have an idea going into things so that everyone can be on board with expectations 🙂
– Be flexible. It’s always better to go into a situation knowing it will be full of surprises than expecting everything to go according to plan. This way, you’ll appreciate the good and not get too stressed out about the bad!
– Ask questions if something is unclear or doesn’t make sense, but don’t let yourself feel overwhelmed by all that needs explaining 🙂
– Lastly, remember why volunteering abroad matters! If you’re working with Global Citizen Journeys on your program, we ask every volunteer before they depart: Why do you want to volunteer?
What impact would this experience have on your life and career? We encourage volunteers to take time during their trip(s) outside of work activities for reflection; we believe many lessons to be learned in the field can’t always be taught.
Don’t forget to check out Maximo Nivel! It’s the best.This was all we had about volunteer programs! Hope this was helpful…